In this episode (Part 1 of our 2-Part Season 1 Finale) we’re focusing on our connection to our physical body AKA our fine a$$ selves.
Our physical bodies are so deeply-tied to our emotional and mental state and it’s something that cannot, and should not, be ignored.
We start off the discussion looking at issues around weight and body image and our early experiences with self-loathing (gulp.) From there we talk about how empowering and stabilizing it can be work our physical selves with the goal of feeling strong and healthy rather than with the goal of being “skinny” or “thin” to meet external or societal expectations.
We extract the feelings of connection and relaxation as the noticeable signs of being in-tune with our bodies and we talk about when we feel, and have felt, the best in our skin. The conversation then turns to diets, fasting and talking about our eating habits. We then get into the practices that help us remain grateful and present in our bodies.
Erin unpacks some ideas around trauma and overcoming its legacy as it’s stored in the physical body and she then offers some great and simple ways to mitigate its negative effects.
We finish off the episode with some thoughts on aging and ways to teach kids body autonomy. For all this and more tune in to the Less Alone Podcast!
Key Points From This Episode:
- Society’s conditioning around weight and its link to self-worth
- Exercise routines and connecting to the body through athleticism and strength rather than with the goal of being “thin” or “skinny”
- Times when we feel best in our bodies; connected, relaxed and at peace
- Fasting, diets and rephrasing eating as a period of nourishment
- Times that we have felt the worst about our bodies; movement, our guts and boundaries.
- Loving our bodies through the amazing memories attached to it
- Trauma and the way the body stores and holds onto bad experiences
- Two exercises to bring us back “into body” through the power of breath and hands at the belly and heart
- How to teach body autonomy and ownership to kids
- The honor of aging, growing older, wiser and less hot
- This week’s awareness challenge for getting in touch with your body and self!
- And much more!
Links and Resources Mentioned in Episode 9:
- Anna’s Spending Fast Bootcamp
- Erin’s Garmin watch
- Denver Eating Disorder Recovery Program
- The Biggest Loser
- Mama June: From Not to Hot
- Honey Boo Boo
- Dana Suchow / @danasuchow
- Rachel Cargle / @rachelcargle
- Celeste Barber /@celestebarber
- Raw Beauty Talks
- Kate Middleton and Meghan Markle
- Heal documentary
- Louise Hay
- Heal Your Body
- Tara Brach and Tara Brach’s Podcast
- Feather Berkower’s website, Parenting Safe Children, her book: Off Limits: A Parents Guide to Keeping Children Safe From Sexual Abuse, and the Conversation Starter Cards
- Forks Over Knives documentary
Email us at Hello@LessAlonePodcast.com for a copy of the full transcript
P.S. Be sure to Rate, Review and Subscribe to the podcast in your favorite podcast player!